I saw this post and thought some of the stats would be helpful.
Here are some stats courtesy of multiple sources, including the National Association of REALTORS, Pew Research, Nielsen, Morgan-Stanley and a few other pieces we’ve brought together.
- 37% of recent buyers were “first time” buyers – a drop from 50% in 2010
- They typical buyer was 45 years old – up from 39 a year ago
- 37% of buyers were under the age of 31; 32% were over 55
- While all buyers use the internet to search for homes, for 35% of them, it was the first step in the process; 21% started by contacting an agent
- 21% of buyers were single females; 12% single males
- 64% of all buyers had no children under 18 at home
- Buyers found real estate agents (83%) slightly more useful than the internet (81%)
- 92% said open houses were very- to somewhat-useful sources of real estate information
- Buyers found the home they purchased in the newspaper 5% of the time
- 58% of buyers wanted to see videos when looking at property online
- The average seller was a Baby Boomer (45-65 years old)
- The typical real estate consumer moved 18 miles from their previous home in 2011
- 66% of sellers remained in the same state; 67% in the same county
- 46% bought a larger home, 31% purchased the same size; 23% downsized
- 25% of sellers sold their home within two weeks of entering the market
- 63% of sellers had no children under the age of 18 at home
- Job relocation and the need for more space were the primary reasons people sold their home.
- Most sellers had been in their current home for 9 years.
- 61% of sellers were repeat clients or referrals from friends and family
- 66% of sellers only interviewed 1 real estate agent
- Sellers found their agent through the internet 3% of the time; direct mail 2%; newspaper 1%.
- Gen X’ers (35-45) have doubled their use of social media since 2008
- 1 in 6 minutes spent online is on Facebook
- $50,000-75,000 is the typical income range of a Facebook user
- Single women use social media more than single men
- 200 million consumers access social media on their smartphones
- After Google, consumers search YouTube the most (2 billion streams daily)
- Consumers spend 1 in 3 minutes watching video on their mobile devices
- 1 in 10 U.S. adults owns a tablet computer
- 40% of iPad owners earned more than $100,000 last year
- 44% of Gen Y’ers prefer texting to face-to-face meetings
- The typical Gen Y’er sends 3,000 text messages a month
- Gen X and Gen Y used web-based email 20% less last year